Monday, August 8, 2011

Olive Oil Hair Treatment

If you don't know about the many benefits of olive oil, then you must have been living under a rock. Olive oil is packed full of fatty acids that are not only good for your body, but also for your hair! Olive oil penetrates the hair shaft, conditioning it, infusing moisturize, improving elasticity and creating shine. My mother used to use a few drops of olive oil on my scalp as a baby to prevent cradle cap.

When using olive oil on your hair, make sure that it is 100% Extra Virgin. On many hair boards (and on Rachel Ray's cooking show) Extra Virgin Olive Oil is referred to as EVOO. EVOO is produced from olives that have been cold pressed, thus retaining a lot of their natural properties.

Some women use EVOO as a moisturizer, some use it as a sealer on the ends of their hair, or as a scalp oil. It depends on your preference. I like to use EVOO as a pre-shampoo treatment.

I put EVOO in a color applicator. I may add addition oils or ingredients such as honey (for moisture), Coconut oil, peppermint oil, or even a egg for light protein. I heat the oil for 10 seconds in the microwave and then apply it to my scalp and ends of my hair.

TIP:  if using an egg, don't add any heat. You don't want the egg to cook in your hair!

After I  have applied my oil, I wet a wash cloth, roll it up, put it in the microwave for 10-15 seconds and place that on my head, then place a shower cap over it. The steam from my wash cloth helps open the hair shifts and absorb the moisture from my EVOO mix.

You could leave this pre-poo treatment on for 30 minutes or over night.

Afterwards I wash and condition my hair as usual.
Over time, EVOO pre-poo treatment helps restore dry and brittle hair.

No comments:

Post a Comment