Friday, June 17, 2011

Updo with Curls

There was a running joke on my alma mater's campus that "Louisville girls wear curls", so this is my ode to all the Louisville Girls who loves to rock a head full of tight ringlets. =)
I consider my hair to be natural, even though I have dyed my hair copper red. I define natural hair as hair without any perm or any type of chemical process to change the natural texture and curl pattern.
I fixed my hair this way because I was attending my university's annual President's Gala, which is a black tie event. Often as a natural hair chic, I find it diffcult to find a hairstyle sustiable for special occasions that do not include straightening my hair. But as I have gotten more comfortable with my hair, I have found many different options! This is one of them.

 


Step 1: Prep.
Always start off on clean and conditioned hair! This is what I decided to use: L'Oreal Ever Pure Sulfate Free Shampoo for color treated hair and conditioned with Queen Helene with a little EVCO mixed in. After I rinsed my condish out, I moisturized using Mixed Silk (Sally's version of Mixed Chicks) and ORS Coconut oil to seal and add a bit of shine.

 
Step 2: Divide.
Make a part across the back of the head from ear to ear. Section off the top part. Moisturize and detangle through the bottom half.

Step 3: Braid.
This may be the most difficult step, depending on your ability to braid. If you cannot braid, then twist the hair. If you can't do that, then brush the hair up and pin it with hair pins. I made my braids medium sized. Once you began to roll the hair, you can take the braids aloose until it reaches the scalp.

This is the finished product. As you can see, I'm not the best braided in the world, but I got the job done! :)


Step 4: Rod.
Unfortunately, I was in such a rush that I didn't have a chance to take a picture of myself with the rods in my hair. But I have provided a simple video of how it is done. I used Smooth n Shine Olive Oil and Tea Tree Mousse to set the curl. Afterwards, I sat under a hooded dryer for approx. 1 hour. As you can see, my hair didn't dry completely lol. To solve that problem, I just pinned those curls back.
Here is the back of my head. Afterwards, I dabbed my fingers in a litle bit of the ORS Coconut Oil and picked my curls apart.

After you have fluffed and seperated your curls to give it more of a natural look, pin your hair up as you would like it. I ended up pinning more of my hair up in the back and styling it a bit more in the front. This style should last you a few days to a week, depending out how well you maintain you hair. At night, pull the curls up on your head to avoid smashing them in your sleep and put on a stain bonnet.
Viola!! <3

Click Here to see an in-depth video on how to set natural hair on flexi-rods. This is how I learned. <3












No comments:

Post a Comment