Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Return of the Box Braids


Box braids are usually associated with that fly 90's chick that rocked the Cross Colors and Daisy Dukes.
However, this familiar trend has been trying to peak its head in the current fashion era. I think this is a really cute retro trend! If you want the box braids look more "natural" try thinner braids with "dipped" ends, rather than chunky with a burnt end. Take a que from Ms. Patra and rock nice big earrings with your braids!
Then
Brandy as "Moesha". {Mo to tha/ E to tha!}

Joi from Friday, rocking blonde box braids.

Poetic Justice

Janet Jackson

 Now
Solange

Choreographer Fatima Robinson

Mrs. Jada Pinkett Smith wearing "natural" box braids.

Erykah Badu, extreme waist length braids.

Box braids with extensions are a wonderful way to protect your hair, but they can also damage your hair if not done properly. Steer clear of heavy braids around the hairline to prevent traction alopecia. Also, do not braid too tightly! If you cannot move your face - honey take them down! Do a series of deep conditioning (protein and moisture) prior to braiding to make sure hair is in tip top condition.

Consider practicing the Crown and Glory Method! This consists of washing and conditioning your hair (while braided), and using a protein and moisturizing spray (Infusium 23 and a braid spray).
Braids can be left in up to 2 or 3 months. Redo the first two rows of braids around the hairline every 2 weeks to avoid matting and build up. This also helps "refresh" the style.

My Braids
 It took about 4 to 6 bags of Kanekalon {pronouced Ka-neck-A-Lon} hair. I "thinned" the ends of my braids by pulling the hair as if I were going to install Senegalese twists. After I finished, I applied a thin coat of Vaseline to the ends of the hair, then dipped it in hot water. The Vaseline helps soften the hair. I used Infusium 23 and Grandma's Braid Spray every other day. Sometimes I patted shea butter down the length of the braid to where my hair stopped.




After a month!



The rinse I applied began to wash out, and my red hair started to show.

When taking the braids down, start in the middle. This way you can sweep your braids into a bun and hide the middle.

Video

This is what you DON'T want!





1 comment:

  1. It’s amazing in support of me to truly have a web site that is valuable meant for my knowledge. Box braids

    ReplyDelete